Monday, November 29, 2010

Glorified Cabbage

It's a bit late to post this recipe for Thanksgiving, but thanks to Thanksgiving, I had the recipe out and am posting it in plenty of time for Christmas or any other time you want to pig out. There are lots of recipes for Glorified Cabbage out there, but this is the one I use. It's fairly quick and easy, contains Velveeta (which I love but rarely allow myself to indulge in), and is fattening and utterly delicious. 


1 large cabbage, chopped small
¾ cup butter
2 onions, chopped
1 can mushroom soup
½ pound Velveeta, cut into chunks
1 cup bread crumbs
 
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Boil the cabbage till done (you decide what that means, but I would suggest NOT boiling it to death), then drain it. Sauté the onion in the butter. Add the soup, half the bread crumbs, and the Velveeta, and cook on low heat until melted. Add the cabbage. Put the mixture in a 9 x 13-inch pan and top with the rest of the bread crumbs. Bake 25-30 minutes. Yum!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds good, Barbara! Can you use something other than Velveeta cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many recipes for Glorified Cabbage that use cheddar cheese, but I haven't looked at any of them carefully. I'm not sure whether the amount of cheese would be the same, seeing as Velveeta has a different consistency from regular cheese and a different fat content. Maybe Google for other recipes or just do some experimenting...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this recipe. Again, Barbara, I must compliment you on some of the most beautiful covers I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a recipe I got from a German friend called Cabbage Casserole. I've a couple of boxes of Velveeta around so I may try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad y'all like the recipe. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

    Thanks re the covers, Bianca. Kudos to the art department at Dorchester Publishing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, that recipe is definitely new to me. I will try it. I am used to cooking cabbage stuffed with a mix of ground beef and rice, seasoned with garlic, cumin and lot of lime juice. It takes a long time to stuff the cabbage leaves but my kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved stuffed cabbage leaves and stuffed grape leaves as well. I've tried making the stuffed cabbage leaves, but it didn't work very well! Maybe I need lessons from the expert (that would be you, Mona :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. More recipes I must try. No fair! I like your covers, too, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete