Saturday, March 30, 2019

What I've Been Reading - March 2019


You may have noticed that I don’t do standard book reviews. That’s too much like a school assignment, I guess. If you want to know more about the books I recommend here, read the blurbs online.

Anyway, here are my brief comments on a few books I enjoyed recently.

Murder in Just Cause by Anne Cleeland. 


This is the 9th installment in one of my favorite mystery series, and it’s also one of the best (although nothing can beat book one, Murder in Thrall, which I read 4.5 times before I could move on to something else). 

Usually I get tired of a series by about the 5th or 6thbook, but Doyle and Acton are such a great duo, so unusual, so complex, and so perfect for one another, that I dive into these present-day London police procedurals again and again.

(BTW, Ms. Cleeland also writes some fab historical suspense.)







 A Gentlewoman’s Guide to Murder by Victoria Hamilton

 
This mystery takes place in 1810 and centers around the sexual abuse of young girls. It also deals with the subjugation of women (which I suspect will continue to be a central topic if the heroine, Emmeline St. Germaine, blazes her way through more stories in the series). 

She’s incredibly fiery and brave and determined, and she keeps on fighting abuse and injustice through the many twists and turns of the story, as more and more ghastly stuff is revealed. Not an easy read but definitely a worthwhile one. 








 The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells

I heard about these books (I guess I would call them long novellas) on Argh Ink, Jennifer Crusie’s blog, where every Thursday we get to talk about our current reads. After seeing them recommended over and over, I caved and read the first two (All Systems Red and Artificial Condition), and I’m so glad I did. 

The narrator is a construct, part organic and part inorganic, a robot but not really. He can hack into almost anything and has control of his own governor module. He’s an entertaining combination of human and non-human characteristics, and the books are written in first person, so we get everything from his unique point of view. They’re a bit pricey for the length but such enthralling reads that I’ll gladly shell out for the others in the series. Highly recommended.

That's it for now,

Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment