Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Next Two Little Things




Sarah Mallory, whose blog you can find at http://www.onebellesstrategem.blogspot.co.uk/ 
invited me to take part in a blog event entitled THE NEXT BIG THING - a series of questions and answers about what's happening next in my writing life. Thanks, Sarah, and here goes!

What is the title of your book?

Um… I don't know. My next thing isn’t a big one, anyway – it’s two little ones. I’ll have two related novellas out in April and May 2013, but I don’t have titles for them yet. I’m really terrible at titles, so I leave that up to the editors at Harlequin.  

How did you come by the idea?

Um again… I’m not sure. It may be related to the King of the Fairies. (See below -- this is said king in the form of a white cat.) When I visited Germany several years ago, he fixed me with his ice-blue eyes and ordered me to write his story. I haven't done it yet, but I'm working up to it by learning about magic and folklore. As far as I remember, I was surfing the net and saw something that sparked my idea, but when I tried to find it again, it had (magically, of course) disappeared! 



Part of the idea, though, was writing two stories that take place in the same time period and location, but with different heroes and heroines. I thought it would be a fun challenge. It was exciting to set up the second story in the first, knowing that the second romance was going on in the background while the first romance took center stage.


What genre does your book fall under?

Regency historical romance, but with more than a touch of magic. So I guess you could say these novellas are historical light paranormal.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters if it were a movie?

Groan. No idea. I never, ever have actors in mind when I write. I’m a huge Johnny Depp fan, for example, but I’ve never imagined him in the role of one of my characters. I could see a young Liam Neeson working well as a hero, but again, I’ve never imagined him that way. As for heroines, I have even fewer ideas. Sorry! Just put your own favorite actors in the roles, and they'll do fine.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your books?

Gack. This is like an elevator pitch, right? I've never been any good at those. All I can say at this point is that they are centered around a rather racy folk custom to do with finding one’s true love on May Day morning.

Will your books be self-published or traditional?

Traditional – they are part of the Harlequin Undone line of sexy historical novellas.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

A month or so for each novella. I don’t really do first drafts – I revise as I go along.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Um… Well, there are several great Undones by Marguerite Kaye that have a paranormal element, but her subject matter is quite a bit different. Helen Scott-Taylor has written some super paranormal romances involving magic and folklore, but her take is different from mine. So…. I don't really know. 

My current release, A Lady’s Lesson in Seduction, is a Christmas story with some folklore in it, but only a hint of magic. I had so much fun writing that one that I wanted more magic. I guess these two new ones are one step further in the direction ordained by the Fairy King... 



What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

Hmm… Both stories involve one character who believes in magic and one who doesn’t, but for different reasons and in different ways. I had fun exploring the issues and consequences of believing or not, and how it affects a relationship.

And now I’m passing the baton to Mary Marvella, who will blog about her Next Big Thing on December 11th.

Mary Marvella
http://www.pinkfuzzyslipperwriters.blogspot.com/ 



No comments:

Post a Comment