Saturday, September 1, 2018

What I'm Reading

I was on vacation much of August, and expected to get a whole bunch of reading done... Nope.

But here's what I read. They're all mysteries, my go-to genre for satisfying reading.




They Found Him Dead by Georgette Heyer. This was a re-read, but it was so long since I read it the first time that I had forgotten whodunit. It's one of my favorites of her mysteries -- a good puzzle and a lovely romance as well. (I much prefer mysteries with some romance in them.)





 

Scandal Takes a Holiday by Lindsey Davis. Whenever I'm stumped for something to read, I go for the next in the Marcus Didius Falco mysteries. The characters are like old friends, and I can count an interesting visit in Ancient Rome or the far-flung Roman Empire each time. Hopefully I'll catch up soon --  the series has ended and Ms. Davis is several books into a new one about Falco's daughter.





 As Death Draws Near by Anna Lee Huber. Apart from the depressing title (which I may find depressing because I'm no longer young and immortal), I enjoyed this book -- a solid mystery with lots of historical info about Ireland. I like to deepen my knowledge and understanding of Ireland and its troubles -- so much so that I even did some research to touch on it when I wrote The Rake's Irish Lady.




Lastly, my favorite read this month -- The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. I had read a couple of her books before -- good reads -- but this is by far my favorite. I don't usually go for long, slow reads, but her writing is lovely and the way she weaves two stories, past and present, is super. Also, I always like to learn more about Scotland's history. This story was particularly poignant and seemed headed for a sad ending -- but I guessed how she was going to bring about a happier conclusion, and I was relieved to find that I was right. I heaved a deep sigh of satisfaction, colored only by a tiny sadness, at the end. GREAT BOOK!!

That's it for now,
Barbara


No comments:

Post a Comment